Legal Eagle XL ORV

Legal Eagle ORV in Monument Valley Utah

This blog is about flying adventures in a Milholland Legal Eagle XL named ORV, or off road vehicle forbthe long version. It is a Part 103 Ultralight Vehicle by FAA standards. That means less than 254 pounds, max of 5 gallons of fuel, max speed 63 mph with stall under 27 mph.  Powers is a 1/2 VW of 45 hp.

start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started this blog and what you plan to do with it.

post

8 thoughts on “Legal Eagle XL ORV

1. Tom Potter December 11, 2019 / 2:54 am

Hi Les,
    I really enjoy your videos and your commentary on this plane. I hope you can answer my questions. What brand of wheels, tires and brakes are you running? Why did you switch to the radial from the 1/2 VW? Can you show a detailed shot of your wing mounting? Thank you for your time! I hope all is well in your life. You are an inspiration to me.
    Best Regards,
    Tom

• leshomanb69 December 11, 2019 / 2:17 pm

Wheels and brakes are Black Max, tires are 8:00 x 6:00, Switched to Radial because of lower rpm at full power, 2500 versus 3600 and larger diameter, more efficient prop.

2. Gabriel A April 1, 2020 / 6:00 pm

Hi, could you tell me if i need to drill holes to relief gas pressure when weldig the fuselage for an xl?

I saw your lastest video and you mention that you have built 3 legal eagle fuselage.

Have you had any problems welding them?

I ask because i am starting to build my xl legal eagle.

• leshomanb69 May 22, 2020 / 2:46 pm

If welding a closed tube i drill a small hole. on the fuselage i drill holes where diagonals and cross pieces connect. 3/32″ holes

3. John September 9, 2021 / 9:50 pm

I’d like to know if you have any new information about the 028 tubing fuselage. how it it working out in practical terms

• leshomanb69 September 12, 2021 / 1:33 am

It has been working very well, I have not developed any problems except for the added difficulty of welding and assembling. I would not recommend it for someone that is not and experienced welder/fabricator and I have made other changes that confirm my thinking when and if i build another LEXL. The .028 is a lot more expensive than the .035.

• John September 12, 2021 / 3:51 pm

As a high pressure pipe welder I shouldn’t have any problems. Thanks for the input, I shall proceed!

• Tom Potter September 18, 2021 / 11:10 pm

Hi Les,
        How much more expensive is .028 tubing?

Best Regards,